The Jamaica theology conference that I’ve been helping to plan is coming up in just over a month (I had posted a final Call for papers a while back).
KEYNOTE SPEAKER – DR. STEED DAVIDSON
The keynote speaker is Dr. Steed Davidson, Associate Professor of Hebrew Bible / Old Testament at McCormick Theological Seminary in Chicago.
Dr. Davidson, who is originally from Tobago, will kick off the conference with a programmatic lecture on Friday evening (September 8) entitled “The Hazards and Opportunities of Sola Scriptura for Caribbean Biblical Interpretation.” Then on Saturday (September 9) there will be papers on a variety of topics related to the conference theme: “Biblical Interpretation for Caribbean Renewal.”
PAPER TOPICS FOR SATURDAY
We have papers lined up from a variety of theological disciplines and perspectives, especially focused on the Bible and Caribbean renewal. Here are some of the paper titles:
- The Parable of the Good Samaritan: A Political Reading from a Caribbean Perspective
- The Inclusive Vision of Isaiah 56 and Contested Ethical Practices in Scripture and the Church: Toward a Canonical Hermeneutic of Discernment
- Food for Thought: The Work of the Spirit and the Dynamics of Disgust in Acts 10
- Word, Sound, and Power: The Religious Imagination of Rastafari Hermeneutics
- Chiastic Contours, Caribbean Hermeneutic, and the Book of Acts
- Black Identity in Light of Slavery, God’s Sovereignty, and Scripture
- Pastoral Priorities for Biblical Interpretation in the Caribbean
- Contextual Interpretation and the Canonical Narrative: Toward a Holistic Understanding of the Bible
- The Anatomy of a Church Healing
- The Biblical Interpretation of Demonic Possession and Voodoo-Like Possession as the Identity of Evil In Haiti
You may register on the conference page at the Jamaica Theological Seminary website by clicking on the form at the bottom of the page (discounted registration is available up to August 15). Questions about registration can be directed to Dr. Winston Thompson, Vice-president of JTS. The registration page will be updated with detailed information about the conference schedule as soon as it is available.
You can find my report on the conference here.
The theology conference is sponsored by the Jamaica Theological Seminary and will be held on their campus, at 14-20 West Ave., Kingston 8, Jamaica, W.I..
This interdisciplinary theology conference celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Jamaica Association of Evangelicals and the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation.